We ALL want to have successful home parties and events. But it doesn’t ALWAYS turn out that way, right? And sometimes I’ve heard people say, “Well, you never can tell”. And I wonder how much truth is in that?
My second year of selling Scentsy, I got word through my mom-in-law that a lady at the local car dealership wanted to host a party for me!!!!!! How exciting!!! So I did all the things a good rep does:
1) phone call to introduce myself and set date and details
2) set date 2 wks out to allow PLENTY of time for her get the word out and send out invitations
3) next day, I delivered the PARTY PREP PACK to her at the dealership (invitations, 2 catalogs, 20 testers, and order forms)
4) called to check on her 2 days after I delivered the party prep pack, to make sure she did not have any questions or need more invitations.
5) called 2 days before the party
So far, so good!
I show up at the dealership on Sunday afternoon (where she wanted to have the party) and not a car was in sight! (well, except the ones for sale, of course!!). Doors locked. Party started at 2, I’m there 45 minutes early. Oh and this is JULY! HOT!!! So I stay in my car and wait…and wait. Then I start calling at 1:45… no answer. 2 o’clock comes, and I’m the only one ready to party! UGH! I stay until 3 pm thinking that MAYBE she messed up the invites. Maybe at 3 pm everyone would start showing up, right??? Nope. Not a soul!!! Not even a random person looking for a vehicle!!! LOL And worse? she wouldn’t pick up her phone or return a text. Nothing.
I left with my tail tucked between my legs, so to speak! Definitely not a highlight moment in my 4 year journey.
I spent the 30 minute drive home trying to figure out where I went wrong… or more importantly, what could I have done to prevent this?
It would have been easy to say she was a jerk, low life. It would have been nice to throw every ounce of the blame onto her.
But I knew there was a lesson to be learned, and I was gonna learn it for sure cause I NEVER, EVER wanted that to happen again!!!
None of the activities I did before the party were bad. In fact, I use that ‘2’ system I posted above to this day. So even though it gave no results this time, those practices were fine. It wasn’t that.
I can remember asking myself over & over “when did she decide not to go through with the party?”. I WANTED to know that answer! Was it when she first met me in person? Was it when I gave her the invitations? Was it when she invited her friends but no one RSVP’ed and she was discouraged and embarrassed?
And I decided that it could have been any of the above! No help there either.
So it clearly wasn’t something I did… but maybe it was something I DIDN’T do!!
1) Maybe I didn’t make it easy enough to send out the invitations! Perhaps I should’ve set up a certain time to pick them back up from her and mail them out myself.
2) Maybe I didn’t get her EXCITED about the event. Perhaps I could’ve left a little goody for her office to get her excited!!! (room spray?) Maybe JUST FOR FUN she could’ve picked out her top 3 wish list items from the catalog when I dropped off the Party Prep Pack… and then I could’ve SURPRISED her by telling her that if she got 12 people at the party, one of her top 3 would be ON ME, in addition to all the fun, free & 1/2 price hostess rewards!
3) Maybe she lost interest as it got closer to time because life got in the way? Perhaps I could’ve offered a little treat for her bringing $100 in preorders before the party started! Then she’d have been too focused on collecting orders to have a change of mind.
So I decided on the way home that day, that I wouldn’t leave ANYTHING to chance again. ever!
And these are the practices I keep to this day for almost every home party or basket party I have done. And the great news…. is I’ve never had a NO-SHOW party since.
Lessons learned hard are learned best!
Hope these little ideas help you have EXTRA successful parties & events!!!